Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Green Acres...Oliver here...

I was born in Clearwater, Florida and have spent , hmmm, I'd guess, maybe 49 of my 52 years on this planet in the Sunshine State. I have always wanted to live on a farm...well...here I am.

I really just love it. I love the smell of the hay in the barn. I love to watch the horses and cows, the cats and dogs, chickens and woolies. They are simply amazing to me.

I am going to be farm sitting for a week the beginning of Feb. while my friend and her husband go on vacation. Needless to say, I am a bit nervous...its alot of responsibility and the longer I am here the more I see the daily adventures that come along with this way of life...

This morning, I let two of the dogs out and stepped out back to have a quick smoke. All of a sudden I hear both dogs barking up a storm...They don't usually bark for nuthin now...so I mosey around to the front to discover what the commotion is all about...

Here stands these two fairly small dogs standing directly in front of this bohemith sized bull who has managed to escape from inside the fence...and was standing by the fence corner, scratchin
his flank and bum on the wood...

Now I reckon those dogs were yapping at that bull, Tanner, to go back but Tanner wasn't listening too well....next thing you know, this Huge animal bolts, charging at the screaming dogs then swerving into a three point turn of sorts, to head for the woods up the hill.

Now, bulls aren't the smartest of creatures...but, what they lack in smarts, they compensate for in sheer massive muscle and braw . This guy, rather than head for the large gated opening at the front of the pasture where we were trying to steer him, charges into the fence, trying to go through the three tiers of wire that are supposed to confine him and his harem to their pasture...not once but five times at five different spots he charged, trying to force his large mass through the wires...each time entangling himself before he is half way through.

Finally, he figured out that the gate was the way to go. After he charged through the gate opening, I quick scooted over, lifted the gate up and swung her closed while Tanner turned around and just stood there giving me the evil eye... all the while the dogs are yapping.

Now, what in the heck am I gonna do if good old Tanner gets out while my friends are gone? oh they will leave me several numbers of neighboring farmers who I can call, but, what do I do if, say, they get out late at night? Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention, two of their cows are very very pregnant and due to drop their calves any time... one of their horses has seizures, and
one has an injured shoulder and is confined to her stall for a month over which she is none too happy. She has already gotten loose once....and its only been a couple of days...

Crash course in farming 101? Oh yeah...should be interesting...
Well, thats my story for today and I am stickin to it. Have a good one...
the" Green Acres" twisted sister ps the only thing I lack is Arnold the Pig!

4 Comments:

Blogger sapphoq said...

i know you probably didn't think the escaped bull was all that funny yet i am sitting here laughing hysterically!!!

March 28, 2006 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So what else happened? I am Gwen and have seen your blog before. Thought I would stop in and say hey. That is a great story and I bet it was fun.

G~

April 13, 2006 at 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you

April 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it is twisted sister

April 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home