Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Independence Day!

Today we celebrate our indepenence as a nation, and our freedom in the usual American tradition of cook-outs and fire works, waving our flags, toasting and tipping...and I couldn't help but stop and ponder a bit about the men and women who brought it all about, and those brave young men and women who sacrifice so much to keep it.

Truly, I am in awe. We, as a people, owe a debt we can never pay to them.

Freedom is something I am ashamed to say I have taken for granted, most of my life. That began to change for me during the Kuate conflict, as CNN brought the reality of war into our living room. I think my kids thought I had gone over the edge because every single day that I came home from work I would be glued to the TV screen in true horror. I couldn't imagine being over there as an ordinary citizen, with bombs falling out of the sky and death' stench in the air. I have never had to be in fear for my life or dodge bullets as I saw ordinary citizens doing over there.

Had no earthly idea that in a few years, my world, as I knew it, would be turned upside down when two of my three sons enlisted in the United States military within six weeks of each other. Today, I am the proud mom of two active soldiers, and I try very hard, in their honor, and in honor of all of our brave men and women who defend our freedom and human rights, to be gratefully aware of the gifts we have. We are truly a rich country, not only in material ways, but in how blessed we are to be able to do and say as we choose.

I never really ever stopped to think about the many sacrifices that have been made, lives that have been lost and blood that has been spilled in pursuit of our Freedom. I am reminded of the words Jesus spoke..."Greater love hath no man than he who giveth his life for another".

Oh, how I wish that each one of us, on this day, could take just a moment to say a quick prayer for all of our soldiers and their families, both those who serve today and those who have gone before them and made the ultimate sacrifice...They are my Heroes.

Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!
a twisted sister

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home