Sunday, December 19, 2004

Little Drummer Boy

I have always been fond of the Christmas song, The Little Drummer Boy. Asside from simply liking the music, rhythm and lyrics of the song, the story that it tells has always captivated my imagination. Perhaps I have always identified with the little fellow in the song...but never more than today.

As I told you earlier, I am going to Florida to spend Christmas with my family and friends on a plane ticket purchased for me as a Christmas gift. My sons, Timmy and Chris are very excited, my brother, Mark, his wife, Joann, and my nephew, Scottie, are excited. My friends who purchased the ticket are excited.

Half of me is excited. The other half is torn, for I surely hate to leave my oldest son, and my extended family for the holidays, most especially my friend, Denise, who is sick...

I also go empty handed, for my retroactive SSI check is hung up in burocratic red tape due to their own error. I tried to tell my brother this, and request that we do the gift thing for the children only, since , after all, Christmas is for children...and I told him I was gonna wear a red bow...His response was,"Don't be silly" and " Maybe you aught to think about wearing something more than just a red bow..." Isnt he a hoot???

And it occurred to me this morning, sitting in church, pondering this Christmas celebration, that indeed, I feel like the Little Drummer Boy, with only myself to offer as a gift. My love, my attention, my compassion and understanding, my ear to listen, my arms to hug...it just doesnt feel like enough to me but then...that is what I prefer from others....

O, well, I will give my best...and pray that it is enough...

Be well, all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home